Tuesday, November 10, 2009

Girlfriend Visiting! Jessica Brody






With a complicated, sympathetic protagonist, worthy stakes and a clever twist on the standard chick lit narrative, Brody will pull readers in from the first page."
– Publisher’s Weekly



Okay, I know all of us who write books will tell you that we're delighted when someone else has a good idea. Oh, we think, how wonderful! But I will tell you here in the provacy of our blogdom that when I hear about Jessica Brody's book The Fidelity Files, I was the teeensiest bit..envious.

Here it is: Boyfriend behaving badly? Suspect your husband of straying? Jennifer Hunter can supply the ultimate test. She runs a company which specializes in conducting fidelity inspections for those who suspect their loved ones are capable of infidelity.

(What a terrific idea! Rats. I shoulda thought of it. But, hey. We love Jessica.)

And now, she's got a new book--and it's out today! And there's more delicious stuff where the Fidelity Files came from.

Welcome, Jessica! And congratulations on your wild success...I hear there's a TV series in development from the executive producer of Crash. And that's fantastic. (But I still shoulda thought of it...)

HANK: So. You and I get into an elevator on the first floor. We're both going to 22! Oh, I say, you're the famous author. What's your new book about? You say:

JESSICA: LOVE UNDER COVER is the compelling story of a woman who runs a “fidelity inspection” agency, hired by suspicious spouses to test the faithfulness of their loved ones. Although at work she may be an expert on men, in her own relationship, she doesn’t have a clue…Ding!

HANK: Wait , wait, don;t get out of the elevator yet. What's the very best line of the very best review you've gotten? So far, of course.

JESSICA: LOVE UNDER COVER has gotten some wonderful reviews and I’m so grateful. But I think my favorite line was from Booklist who called the book an, “honest, witty portrayal of modern love.” That really melted me. If there are two things I try to be in my writing it’s funny and real. So this was a huge compliment. Thanks Booklist!

HANK: What's your secret indulgence? A certain food? A particular movie? What would you buy on a day of shopping?

JESSICA: I’m a total techno junkie. I love technology and gadgets. Ipods, digital cameras, computers, Tivos, Sling Boxes…those are my weaknesses. My toys. I would die without my blackberry and my Kindle. Unlike most women, I hate shopping for clothes and shoes. To me it feels like a huge waste of time. In a perfect world, I would just wear my sweat pants and Ugg knock-offs all day, every day (okay, maybe I already do that), but set me loose in a Fry’s Electronics or a Best Buy and you probably won’t see me for a week.

HANK: I like stationery stores. All that nice paper. And things to hold the paper together, and things to put the paper in. Very organized. Whew. Anwyay. What was your favorite book as a child? Do you still love it?

JESSICA: I first learned how to read with the book GO DOG GO. Although it was probably more “memorizing” than actual “reading” since I forced my parents to read it to me obsessively! Now I buy it as a baby shower gift for all my pregnant friends. The dogs must live on!

HANK: Oh, I loved that, too. And Hop on Pop. Now that you're a grown up (pretty much) Do you read other people’s books while you're in the writing process? How does that affect you?

JESSICA: I do read other people’s books while I’m reading. I find that it inspires me. Although it does tend to influence the mood of whatever scene I’m working on at the moment. For example, I read MY SISTER’S KEEPER a few months ago when I was working on one of my YA novels and when I did the revisions I noticed a more somber mood somewhere towards the middle. “Ah, yes,” I thought. “That was around the time I sunk my teeth into Jodi Picoult.”

Want more? Here's Jessica's website...

http://www.jessicabrody.com/books.html You can view her trailer and read excerpts and find out lots of cool stuff.

And oh, don't forget: Jessica is the maven of FREE BOOK FRIDAY! And if you're not already a huge fan..whoa. You are missing a good thing.
http://www.freebookfriday.com/

Thanks for visiting, Jessica! Many many good wishes..and we hope you sell piles of books.

No comments: